2011 JASNA Regional Birthday Celebrations
JASNA Regions celebrated Jane Austen’s 236th birthday, December 16, 2011, with many creative events. Most Regions hosted a tea or luncheon, often with a lecture or discussion about Austen’s works or life. The following sample of birthday celebrations shows the range of activities and intriguing venues chosen by Regions for their annual fete. These celebrations, as well as other special events held throughout the year, add to our members’ enjoyment and appreciation of Jane Austen and her writing.
- California, Southwest Region: “Do Not Physic Them”: Medicine in Jane Austen’s Time
- Idaho Region: “‘…in proportion to their family and income’: Houses in Jane Austen’s Life and Fiction”
- Maryland Region: Literary Allusions in Jane Austen
- New York Metropolitan Region: Beyond the Silver Screen
- Vermont Region: “A Second Chance for Sense and Sensibility”
- Wisconsin Region: “Austen and the Beauty of Place”