Persuasions #12, 1990 Page 140
1991 JASNA Literary Competition
Topic: What can be learned about Emma from her relationship with her
father and Mr. Knightley?
UNDERGRADUATE: First $750*; Second $250
GRADUATE: First $750*; Second $250
1. The original, personal essay should offer insight into Jane Austen’s artistry, ideas, and values and should not be primarily a research paper.
2. The essay should be 1,200 to 2,000 words and must be typed (double-spaced). The title page must include the student’s name, permanent address, phone number college or university, and year in school.
3. Participation is limited to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled full or part-time in a college or university.
4. Three copies of each essay must be postmarked by April 31, 1991. The contest judges will make their final decisions by August 31, 1991. Winners will be announced in Washington, D.C. in October 1991 at the Annual General Meeting of the Jane Austen Society of North America. Entries should be sent to:
Mary Gaither Marshall
JASNA Annual Literary Competition
* The judges reserve the right not to award first prize if no superior essay is submitted.