North Carolina Region
Jane Austen in June
June 8, 2013
Jane Austen and her popular novels have become timeless classics over the past two centuries, including Pride and Prejudice—celebrating its 200th anniversary this year! Come and celebrate Jane Austen, her great work, and explore what life was like for eastern North Carolinians at the time of Austen’s novels.
The day will include the following events:
- “All about Tea” Tour and Tea. Come along for a tour that is all about tea! This special tour will take you into the Royal Governor’s Palace and explore the culture surrounding tea in Britain and early America during the colonial and Regency eras. A light tea will be served at the tour’s end.
- Dancing in the Regency – Dance Classes. Dancing played a very important role in society in Jane Austen’s life and books—just as it did here in eastern North Carolina! Come and learn about Regency era dancing, and put your best foot forward by joining the Regency Assembly of North Carolina for a dance or two!
- The Regency Era in eastern North Carolina. Tour the Stanly House to learn about what life was like for the Stanly family and the other people living in Eastern North Carolina during the Regency era.
- Crafting and Gaming in the Regency Era. Enjoy your time with family and friends, whilst making a Regency era craft or playing a popular game of the time!
- Speaker – to be announced. A speaker from the North Carolina Region will provide unique insight into Jane Austen’s popular novel Pride and Prejudice, which celebrates its 200th anniversary this year. More details to come!
For additional information including exact times and prices for the above events, visit the Tryon Palace website.