From Lesley Castle
(Courtesy of Juvenilia Press)
As soon as it became clear that we wouldn’t be meeting in Cleveland this year, the Virtual AGM organizers began to think about ways to translate some of the warmth and camaraderie of an in-person AGM to the virtual format. Jane Austen wrote, “It is such a happiness when good people get together—and they always do.” We want to see your faces, ponder your insightful questions for our speakers, laugh at your wit, and share in a virtual hug. Here are a few of the ways we’re planning to create the Virtual AGM social scene. Everything will take place on our conference website—no social media accounts are needed, just your AGM registration credentials.
At the Virtual AGM, you can…
- Plant your pin on the world map to show your hometown, name, and optional photo, and have a look at everyone else’s. (Can we get participants from all the continents this year? The record is six!)
- Post comments and photos on our constantly updating message wall
- Ask questions: plenary speakers will answer on live video, and breakout speakers using real-time chat
- Show your smarts on quizzes and test your luck at game time with Jane Austen Bingo, the "Run Mad As Often As You Choose" Scavenger Hunt, or cards.
- Take part in the affairs of your Society at the JASNA Business Meeting and JASNA Canada Business Meeting
- Raise a glass to toast Jane Austen: We’ll have a JASNA luminary lead a tribute, while you Post Your Toast
- Visit our Assembly Rooms during the live video Virtual Social -- there’s no telling who you’ll run into!
- Dress in your Regency regalia and send in a photo to be added to our Virtual Promenade (which you can watch from the comfort of your sweatpants, if you choose)
- Sit in on informal video roundtables many of our authors, presenters, and Inside Jane Austen’s World experts, and chime in through text chat
- Meet some first-time AGM attendees during Mimosas with Jane