Calling all up-and-coming filmmakers and Austen fans!
Are you an aspiring Ava DuVernay or Steven Spielberg? Or a young movie maker who is an Austen fan? We invite all North American amateur filmmakers under the age of 30 to compete in this annual creative contest. Membership in JASNA is not required to participate, and it's free to enter. We sponsor the Young Filmmakers Contest to encourage the study, interpretation, and appreciation of Jane Austen among new generations.
First-, second-, and third-place winners receive cash awards and one year of JASNA membership. Finalist entries are judged by some of the preeminent names in contemporary film, TV and literature, and a summary of their comments is one of the most valuable features of the contest! Past judges have included Amy Heckerling, Robin Swicord, Gurinder Chadha, Adrian Lukis, Ken Turan, Crystal Clarke, Janet Lin, Ashley Clements, and Aydrea Walden.
For an overview of the contest, check out our "highlights reel" below.
Watch the winning films.
Young Filmmakers Contest Overview and Highlights
Closed captioning in English can be turned on and off with the CC icon in the control panel.
2024 Contest Guidelines
It's not too early to start thinking about the 2024 Young Filmmakers Contest. Show us how Jane Austen inspires you, with an original short film of your own making. The deadline for submissions is June 24, 2024.
Create a short original film (five minutes or less) inspired by either of the following:
- The theme of JASNA's 2024 Annual General Meeting: "Austen, Annotated: Jane Austen's Literary, Cultural, and Political Origins"
- A general theme inspired by Jane Austen and/or her world, novels, juvenilia, letters, characters, themes, or adaptations.
Past entries have included animated films, documentaries, modernizations, and tributes to Austen’s genius. They’ve ranged from heart-tugging stories to hilarious adventures, and everything in between. All you need is your imagination and a smartphone.
How to Enter
Three winners are selected each year and receive the following recognition:
- Cash awards of $600 for first place, $300 for second place, and $200 for third place
- One year of membership in the Jane Austen Society of North America
- Winning films will be premiered for attendees at JASNA's Annual General Meeting and will be available for viewing by a global audience on this website and through JASNA's video-sharing platforms and social media.
Please email the Young Filmmakers Contest at email@example.com.